Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Still in the Neverending Healing Phase

Well, it has now been 2 1/2 weeks since my crash in Aalburg. And as of last night, the torn back muscle pain (that decided to spread completely around to the front of my chest where it deposited a collection of blood bruises) combined with a nasty case of whiplash has diminished enough that i can just now get away with simple "over the counter" pain meds.  How happy am I!! It looks like I'll actually get a full night of sleep at some point in the near future.

With diminished pain, i even got in a couple of rides outdoors although i found i definitely have a limit to how long i can ride.  After about 40 minutes or so the discomfort starts jumping up quickly. I did however figure out a way to cheat the breathing part of the injury a little bit.  If i go faster than a very easy pace where i have to breathe a little deeper, the pain is sharp. But i found that if i just push a bigger gear (haha) it takes a slightly higher speed before the breathing pain kicks in. 

Yeah, sure it's a bummer that it happened but at least i can see now that there can possibly be an end to this where i can start training normally again.  Cyclocross season may still be three months away but this period of the year is really when i needed to be getting in some real training for optimal preparation - so its good to see that i may be "normal" soon.

At least my bike is mostly in good condition, although the wheel took a lethal hit from the gal who was catapulted into me from the domino effect that seemingly started on the other side of her.

Hopefully my next post will be a bit more cheery. And thanks to all of you who sent me well wishes! That really meant a lot!!

No comments: