Tuesday, August 7, 2007

How ignorant am I...

For the past month I've patiently watched the billions of corn fields in Belgium get thick and high with the thought that I will soon be pigging out on some fresh corn. Every time I'd pass a field, I'd think about how I will prepare my flagship ear.


Now that the corn is finally as high as an elephant's eye, I figured it's time to visit the local market and get cooking; I finally settled on oven-roasted style with rosemary, olive oil, sea salt, pepper and a little bit of lemon to tie the flavors together. YUMMY!!!


Last night, as i stood in the vegetable aisle of my local market, I came across a glitch in the plan - no corn. What a disappointment. This evening, as i shared my story with Johan during our usual tuesday night coffee, I got a response I was not prepared for. He basically told me, "Silly girl, the corn is not eaten by Belgians." Just as I'm trying to figure out to what countries it is exported - maybe it is sent to EVERY country since it seems to be enough to wipe out world hunger, he adds, "It is for the animals." WHAT!?! Horror, confusion, and dismay simultaneously overloaded my head. FRIG!!!! Apparently they grow all that corn as winter feed for the livestock. Johan clearly got a kick out of my shock.


According to Johan, Belgians do not enjoy corn like we do in USA - in fact they rarely eat corn at all. He followed it up with his mimick of an American eating an ear of corn, wielding it like an old typewriter.


Another vegetable that is coming into 'season' now is the turnip. In the photo you can see turnip fields planted next to the corn. I suppose they are for livestock too. bugger.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

. . . bringing to mind Dr Johnson's definition of "Oats"? "A grain, which in England is generally given to horses, but in Scotland appears to support the people."
-- E.C. Chamberlain

Anonymous said...

Hey,

It's not the same corn as in the States. It's no sweet corn in Belgium.

Greetz,

J-rocket

Anonymous said...

We have the same thing in Vt it is called cow corn! Philip

Anonymous said...

Almost a true story, “Centuries ago” when living in Rochester NY, Birdseye leased farmland to grow "sweet yellow corn" for there canned products. For about three weeks, when I would finish my long 10-20 mile runs,(Cycling?) the last 1/2-mile was past this field of plenty. Long rows upon rows, 100’s of acres with green tall stalks and yellow tops a beautiful seen in full bloom. Imagine, (a maze), a setting were you could get lost in them if you went to deep into the field. With permission, I devoured the best sweet corn in the world, as much as I could eat for those three weeks. If immediately eaten, within the first few minutes of picking, it was so sweet with natural sugars, you could even eat it raw. Roasted, micro-waved or just on the grill it was a time of bona appetite. Makes the juices run again just thinking of it. I’m off to the market! Thank you Christine for reminding me of the sweetest ears I have eaten. Hahaha

Ed W said...

Christine, field corn used for animal feed is OK to eat, IF you get it as soon as it's ripe. It's tough compared to sweet corn and cannot compare to Silver Queen - my wife's favorite. Sadly, corn season is done here in Oklahoma.

Anonymous said...

A-maize-ing ! You're definitely not ignorant, you're just corny.

Lost ya at IJ site here in Marin but gladly stumbled across yer real site.

I'm the older dude on the cross-bike who had the hereditary quintuple-by-pass heart surgery. We'd talk or wave in passing on rides.

Major props to ya, just for doing what yer doing. Living yer cyclist's dream. Have the greatest admiration & respect for ya cuz while you might be enjoying yerself, I know it can't be easy. Different culture & whatnot.

Still riding Tam on my CX, doing Tiburon & Tam loops on new road machine & enjoying the sweet fresh corn at the Good Earth.

Stay strong & see ya !

Anonymous said...

CONGRATULATIONS "kitten" I can't wait for the sexy mud unis. Will you be racing the vegas UCI cross race during interbike? I plan to go watch. Philip

Anonymous said...

P - how cool! First day i blog ya & i come home from work late 2nite & there you be in CyclingNews as new VanderHotMudChiCXs Leader

Congrats 'n' Cheers!

Ya, do the I-bike CX. I plan to be there also. Be a great audience in Lost Wages. Down 'n' dirty in the desert w/ the industry.

Smooth 'n' Strong, Stay On It!

PEANUT said...

I am still in search of friggin corn!! And all the talk about tasty corn makes me more tempted to take corn off the stalks here - cow corn - funny. Apparently it is not as illegal to take a couple of pieces of fruit or veggies from people's fields as it is in the states where they put you in jail for a year for such an offence.
Hey bikesgonewild - GREAT to hear from you; glad you are busy riding all my favorite stomping grounds.

PEANUT said...

OH, and no vegas for me; too much travel unfortunately. I will be back in CA end of august through october to ride though. Then it is direct to Gloucester for a couple of race and back to Belgium.

Master said...

I come from Idaho, gazing across thousands and thousands of huge mouth watering potatos/potatoes and then seeing them shipped out to restaurants worldwide......alas.......